History – Former SWX Group
Scoach, the exchange for structured products operated jointly by SWX Swiss Exchange and Deutsche Börse, begins trading.
The holding SWX Group brings the stock market companies SWX Swiss Exchange, virt-x and EXFEED as well as the participations in Eurex and STOXX together under one roof.
EXFEED is founded. The company supplies financial information providers with raw financial data from Swiss Exchange and virt-x.
SWX Swiss Exchange opens virt-x in London. Originally conceived as a pan-European exchange, the company assumes responsibility for Swiss blue chip trading. The subsidiary in London is closed down in 2008 as a result of changes in market conditions and the regulatory environment.
The Eurex derivatives exchange is formed from SOFFEX (Swiss Options and Financial Futures Exchange) and DTB (Deutsche Terminbörse) as a joint venture between Swiss Exchange and Deutsche Börse. By 1999, Eurex had become the world's largest options and futures exchange.
Swiss Exchange was among the first to launch electronic exchange trading with integrated settlement and safekeeping, before ceasing floor trading in 1996. This innovative step is only made possible thanks to the links established that year to SEGA's SECOM system and the SIC Interbank Clearing payment system, which is operated by Telekurs.
The stock exchanges in Geneva, Basel and Zurich come together to form a single Swiss exchange under the name "Schweizer Börse / Swiss Exchange / Bourse Suisse / Borsa Svizzera".
The SMI (Swiss Market Index), Switzerland's most important stock exchange index, opens at a starting level of 1,500 points. The broad-based Swiss Performance Index (SPI) was introduced one year previously.
SOFFEX (Swiss Options and Financial Futures Exchange) opens as the first exchange in the world to allow futures to be traded electronically.
The first Swiss stock exchange opened in Geneva in 1950. This was followed by the Zurich stock exchange association in 1855 and its Basel-based counterpart in 1866. Further stock exchanges were founded in Lausanne in 1884, St. Gallen in 1888 and Neuchâtel and Fribourg in 1905.