SAFEGUARDS | Consumer ProductsNO. 076/20
In May 2020, the Ukrainian Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture published its draft law on food contact materials and articles. This draft law is modeled on several pieces of legislation on food contact materials and articles and from the European Union (EU):
- Regulation (EC) 1935/2004 ‘Framework Legislation’
- Regulation (EC) 450/2009 ‘Active and Intelligent Materials and Articles’
- Regulation (EC) 2023/2006 ‘Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)’
- Regulation (EC) 282/2008 ‘Recycled Plastics’
The draft law contains, inter alia, a number of important provisions:
- General requirements and safety
- Specific measures may be adopted for 17 groups of food contact materials and articles (See Table 1)
- Requirements for declaration of conformity (DoC), traceability and labeling, including the use of the ‘glass and fork’ and ‘DO NOT EAT’ symbols
- Requirements for recycled plastic materials and articles
- Good manufacturing practice (GMP), including rules for printing inks
- Requirements for state regulation of production and circulation of food contact materials and articles (state registration, Section III)
Until specific measures have been approved for Article 6 ‘Special measures for groups of materials and articles’, the law allows the use of food contact materials and articles that have been approved in the EU.
According to the draft legislation, the law will become effective six months after its publication.
The 17 groups of food contact materials and articles which may be covered by specific measures are listed in Table 1.
|Draft Law of Ukraine on the Requirements for Materials and Articles in Contact with Foodstuffs
Article 6 ‘Special Measures for Groups of Materials and Articles’
May 21, 2020
||Food Contact Material
||Food Contact Material
||Active and intelligent materials and articles
||Varnishes and coatings
||Metals and alloys
||Paper and board
SGS technical experts have extensive knowledge and testing experience in materials and articles in contact with food. They work to ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials and pave the way for compliance. From overall migration test to expert advices on emerging regulations and compliance issues and documentation review, SGS is the partner to trust. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information or visit our website.
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: (+852) 2774 7420
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail Industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’ prior written consent.