Seed treatments are a useful way to deliver pest and disease management products into the growing cycle. Their application can improve yields for a wide variety of crops. Many of the most common crops are pre-treated with the relevant chemicals or biological organisms. This is often done by seed dressing, applying either a dry or wet (slurry or liquid) formulation of the seed treatment chemicals.
Seed treatment solutions must undergo supervised field trials before they are offered onto the market. This allows the collection of necessary data to prove the product is safe and complies with regulatory requirements governing the protection of the environment, local ecology, and human health.
During trials it is important to accurately replicate real-life usage. Seed treatments are applied prior to planting or sowing, either at a seed treatment facility or in the field immediately before planting. It is important to ensure the correct dosage is applied during the trial. To ensure this, the organization undertaking the trial must hold a GLP Certificate of Analysis (CoA).
SGS Turnkey Solution for Seed Treatment Trials
SGS operates an extensive field trial network across Europe and the world. In France, we have recently invested in expanding our range of services covering seed treatment. The expansion includes a several analytically verified and certified methods and techniques, even covering seed ordering and including seed treatment and application verification (STAV).
Included in our turnkey solution are germination testing in our climate chambers and greenhouses, covering both prior and post seed treatment, and integrated logistical services to dispatch your samples to field trial sites across Europe.
Our comprehensive range of services to the seed treatment industry includes:
- Purchase of seeds and reference products
- Treatment conducted at a GLP field station using a dedicated room encompassing all necessary safety measures
- Seed treatment with liquid seed treatment formulations in dedicated Hege II systems equipped for different boll sizes. Further solutions are established for larger seed batch sizes
- Seed treatment application verification is conducted by our GLP laboratory network delivering a GLP Certificate of Analysis (CoA)
- Comprehensive handling and shipment logistics (treated seed delivery to field stations) managed by our team in France
- Seed germination testing pre and post seed treatment in SGS growth chambers/greenhouses
- Dust–off (Heubach) test is also available
The development of a turnkey GLP seed treatment solution in France is part of SGS's commitment to providing a comprehensive contract services to the agriculture sector.
With a global network of GLP laboratories and GLP field stations, we have considerable experience in conducting GLP compliant field trials and laboratory analysis for the agricultural sector. Wherever you operate in the world, SGS is the first choice when finding the right agricultural contract service provider.
For further information, please contact:
t: +33 603 323 240
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.